Good oral health has many benefits – a wonderful smile can be a great asset and something we will discuss in future posts. Healthy gums will enable you to keep your teeth into old age and to read more about what gum disease is please follow the link. There is growing evidence that unhealthy gums can contribute to you developing diabetes, cardiovascular (heart) disease, strokes, premature babies and other systemic conditions.
SO how do we keep our gums in tip top health !!?
- Brush your teeth twice a day – before you have breakfast and before you go to bed. Remember to gently brush the gums as well as the teeth!
- Use an electric toothbrush as they are more effective at removing plaque from your teeth.
- Clean in between your teeth with dental floss or small interdental brushes. This removes harmful bacteria from in between the teeth where a lot of gum disease can begin.
- Use a mouthwash containing an antibacterial after cleaning between your teeth before you go to bed.
- Stop smoking if possible – smoking is one of the main causes of gum disease as well as oral cancer.
- Have regular dental check ups which will include a thorough assessment of your gums as part of a comprehensive oral health assessment.
If you are worried about your gums or have any questions the please contact us.